75+ Unconventional Wedding Ideas for the Unique Bride
Are you a bad-a** bride? Then these unconventional wedding ideas are for you.
Shy away from the traditional and embrace the original with these ideas only for the quirkiest of couples.
Quirky Wedding Invite Ideas
SplashOfSilver via Etsy.co.uk
To kick start unconventional proceedings, it’s a good idea to start with the invites. There’s no end of possibilities when it comes to quirky invites. Of course, you can play with different fonts and card types, but that’s only the beginning. Below are just a few ‘out there’ themes, ideas and suggestions.
- Wooden – why not get the invites carved in wood? Better still, get them cut up into Jigsaw pieces.
- Laser-Cut Paper – some printing companies will even cut the letters out, rather than print
- Love Timeline – you could detail the relationship timeline on one half of the invite
- Handkerchiefs – or get the invite sewn into handkerchiefs
- Postcards – make a great invite. You can use the proposal location as the picture on the front side
- Mouse Mats – or have the details printed on a mouse mat
- Social Media Themed – not everyone’s on Facebook, so why not design it in the style of a Facebook post?
- Wedding Mugs – it’s easy to order personalised mugs online, so why not print them with the date and location?
- Magnet Wedding – You don’t want anyone to forget the date, and what better place to leave a reminder than the fridge?
- Paper Aeroplane – You could pre-fold your invites like paper planes and layout the information across the wings
- Tea Towel Wedding – Or get personalised tea towel invites! Informative and practical
- CD Wedding – If you’re fans of music, why not get the invites printed on little paper record sleeves and insert a complication of your favourite songs
- Festival Ticket –or perhaps you both met at a concert? You can celebrate this with festival ticket style invites
- Cinema Ticket Style – or if you’re film buffs, design the invites in the style of old-fashioned cinema tickets
- Printed Balloons – Get the details printed on balloons, then the recipients have to blow them up to get the information. You can use the spare balloons as decorations on the day
- Passport / Boarding Pass – if you’re getting married abroad, send out holiday themed invites
Alternative Engagement Rings
Exchanging rings may a hard-to-break tradition, but there are alternatives to expensive high street brands, which are not only unique, but a lot cheaper too.
- Do It Yourself – DIY Wedding Bands are growing in popularity. If you know anyone who is handy with metal work then even better.
- Family Heirlooms – What a great tradition to have or to start. Of course, granny’s style might not be yours, but its worth looking into. If the style is out-dated or it’s the wrong size, a local jeweller may be able to restore life into the piece.
- Go Vintage – Auctions and antique shops are treasure troves full of great pieces. Why include them in your search. eBay can have some great items too.
- Alternative Stones – Diamonds aren’t a girl’s only best friend. Broaden your horizons and see what other stones take your fancy.
- Ring Tattoos – Why not do away with rings altogether? If you’re fans of tattoos, you can get ring tattoos to complete your collection. Of course, these are a lot harder to take off, so do beware. However, they’re handy for those who work with their hands such as construction workers.
Alternative Wedding Dresses & Colours
It’s your wedding; you can do what you want. That includes doing away with traditional wedding dresses and colours. We’ve plenty of ideas and advice on how to pick alternative wedding dress colours and there are plenty of options. Red wedding dresses have been making an impact on the catwalk recently too, so be a trendsetter and go rouge before everyone’s doing it.
Bridesmaids don’t have to have an age limit!
If your Nana is your best friend then add her to the line up! Feel free to include friends and family of all ages, not just your close friends. It’ll make their day to be asked to join the bridal party.
Runaway Pooch on Etsy.co.uk
Turn the aww-factor up to eleven by dressing your beloved fur babies up for the occasion, and assigning them usher duties. Well-behaved and trained dogs are more than capable of taking part. Cats, and Gerbils, less so.
Original Reception Entertainment
- Club DJs – Why book your standard wedding DJ when you can book an professional club DJ
- Live Bands – Or do away with the DJ and book a live band
- Themed Bands – You can add a touch of ‘unique’ to the band by going with a theme like 80’s, country, new romantic…
- Acoustic Soloists – Having background music at all times is recommended where possible. So, why not book a guitarist or even a harpist?
- String Quartets – Or if you can, book an entire ensemble!
- Silent Discos – If your venue has a noise curfew, bring out the headphones and arrange a silent disco
- Karaoke – Or just let the guests entertain themselves with a karaoke machine.
- Jukebox – What better way to keep your guests busy when they arrive than having a retro diner style jukebox ready and waiting.
- Giant Jenga – This family classic is available in garden sizes, and Jenga isn’t the only option
- Fairground Rides – You can hire retro or modern style fairground rides, if you have to space
- Archery – Or, you can book a professional to set up a range in your garden
- Bouncy Castles – Likewise, why not get a bouncy castle – even your nan will enjoy that!
- Firework Displays – If you’re guests are expected to stay late, or you’re getting married outside of summer, get the dads to put on a firework display
People You Can Hire
- Magicians – How about entertaining guests when they arrive at the reception with a magician.
- Children’s Entertainers – Alternatively, keep the kids entertained with professional entertainers
- Celebrity Lookalikes – Most towns have lookalike agencies, so why not have Barrack Obama or Sylvester Stallone attend your wedding?
Unusual Bar / Drink Ideas
- Colour Match – Serve cocktails in the same colour as your bridal party, or the main colours of your palette.
- Pimm’s o’clock – Everyone loves Pimm’s, especially in the summer. You can control how strong it is and you can fill a dispenser and guests can help themselves.
- Mini Cocktails – Why not have your waiters serve mini cocktails with complimentary canapés? Classy.
- Beer Barrow – If you’re going for a country vibe, fill a barrow of locally sourced beer bottles and mini wine bottles, then top with ice
- Kiddie Cocktails – Don’t forget that children will be thirsty too! Create a non-alcoholic version of your cocktail, or serve milk and cookies.
- An Ice Surprise – Add a touch of loveliness to the ice by using giant ice moulds, and placing washed, edible flowers in them as they freeze.
- Beer Buffet – Let the drinks flow with a serve-yourself bar. Do be sure to have a drink monitor though; people can get carried away in the hot sun.
- ‘Pimp my Prosecco’ Stand – If Prosecco is your drink of choice, add some sparkle with a Pimp My Prosecco stand, full of fruit, cordials, juices and purees.
- Design-A-Cocktail – Personalise the drink by creating your own cocktail – you can call it what you like too! Try combining the tastes of both the bride and groom.
- Pack A Punch – For an American prom feel, why not create a punch and let people help themselves. It’s budget friendly and you can control the strength.
Quirky Wedding Cakes
Tired of the traditional wedding cake? Literal “cheese cakes” make a great alternative, especially for country-themed receptions. What’s more, it doubles up as an after dark snack and any left over cheese can be stored, or frozen so it doesn’t go to waste.
Inspired Gifts & Favours For Guests
No doubt, your day will be one to remember, but just to make sure, give your guests something special to take with them too. There are literally thousands of quirky favour ideas out there. Below are just some of our favourites!
- Mini Liquors – Baileys Chocolat for example, always goes down well
- Special Hot Sauce – There are loads of unique recipes, which come in mini bottles
- Sunglasses – Perfect for an outdoors summer wedding
- Flip-flops – High-heels wear thin by the afternoon, so bring a bucket of flip-flops
- Temporary Tattoos – For tattoo loving brides and grooms
- Hangover Kits – Containing Paracetamol, Mints, Plasters, Coffee Sachet, Tissues, Vitamin C…
- Personalised Nutella Jars – These are available to order online, one for every guest
- Lollipops with Edible Flowers – Beautiful and tasty, these will impress your guests
- Personalised CDs – Chock full of your favourite tunes, and complete with commemorative sleeve designs
- Scented Candles – Everyone loves scented candles and you can pick a scent that reminds everyone of the day, like apples if your reception was on an orchard
- Popcorn – This doubles up as entertainment if you bring along a popcorn makers and have it served fresh
- Flower Seeds – Pick a seed that needs little nurturing to flourish, so even the not-so-green fingered can enjoy watching them grow
- Lottery Ticket – Spread a little luck and joy by giving each of your guests a lottery ticket or a scratch card
- Pick ‘n’ Mix / Retro Sweets – Like with popcorn, set up a Pick ‘n’ Mix stall, with retro sweet bags. The kids will love it too
- Bottle Openers – This idea marries nicely with the beer barrow suggestion
- Sparklers – These are a perfect accompaniment for a fireworks display if you’re getting married out of season. Just be sure to add water buckets and gloves for children. Safety first!
- Personalised Shot Glasses – Get shot glasses inscribed with the guests names and make sure they get used on the night
- Christmas Crackers – If you’re having a Christmas wedding, get each of your guests a premium Christmas cracker with a great gift inside
- Cocktail Flavoured Lip Balm – If you’re serving a cocktail for arriving guests, try pair this with flavoured Lip Balm (such as G&T)
Fun Wedding Photoshop Ideas
Quinn Millar Photo + Design
No wedding is complete without wedding photos, and these can be just as unconventional. There’s so much you can do with Photoshop, for instance, why not have your guests pretend to be running away from a T-Rex! The creativity isn’t just subject to Photoshop. There are loads of funny and interesting shots your photographer can take on the day too. These types of pictures will need some forward planning, so be sure get your thinking caps on sooner than later.